A number of committee who have been of great help are either stepping down or moving away next year, namely Michael ‘Susan’ Howe, our current Secretary, Daniel Quarton, our Treasurer, and Mike Price who has been with us for almost as long as I have. I’d like to thank them for all the effort they've put in in the past.
With so many key committee members stepping away, there is a gaping hole in the committee that needs to be filled. Fortunately, our Annual General Meeting is coming up in two weeks, and this is your opportunity to help out. Any member of the society is eligible to run for a position and help run the society. As a committee member, you get to choose what events to hold, when to hold them, what servers we should be running, and even how the society spends its money. There are other (less noble) advantages, like CV padding, but it’s also a fantastic opportunity working with a group of people to create something worth talking about.
It’s not all great, being on committee. It requires commitment and motivation. Some of the things you're expected to do are attend meetings regularly, set up for events and put in some time during the week to organise stuff. But the rewards, when you put the effort it, are well worth it.
If you're wondering what you could be doing to help, there are plenty of opportunities that come with each position. These are the positions that we're particularly looking to fill for next year and what it encompasses:
- Chair Help keep the group cohesive. Run the meetings. Tell people off for posting memes. Be positive!
- Secretary Wrap your head around everything that’s going on. Write about what happens in the meetings. Tell people off for not doing things. Be organised!
- Treasurer Go to training so you know what to do. Spend the society’s money on new equipment. Look after receipts. Be sensible!
- Server Manager Setup servers. Fix servers. Moderate servers. Be technical!
- Marketing Post on Facebook. Get people to events. Be proactive!
If you don’t think you can do any of these things, then there are still yet other ways of helping out. Just speak to one of the current committee and they'll let you know.
If you do want to run for a committee position, just send an email to email@example.com with a short statement on why you want to be on the committee. And what position you want to run for. Then turn up. The AGM is on 1st May, and the Facebook event can be found here.
You could help keep the society going for another year. You could be a committee member.
Chair and Co-founder